First Moms On A Spiritual Journey Meetup, Sunday 27th Feb 2011
Meetup – Homeopathy, useful for our wellness and our emotions
Finally got to scheduling a date and having a meetup, if rather late in the day! Five of us braved a severe storm warning and took a seat in the dining area of GreenAcres Market, Wichita, KS to spend an hour or so learning more about homeopathy for self-help.
Subjects covered at the Moms On A Spiritual Journey Meetup
- a ‘potted history’ of homeopathy
- the philosophy and thinking behind homeopathic principles
- what are remedies made of, what are the potencies and how do I take them?
- the latest that science is proving about homeopathy
- latest greatest website links and suggested reading.
Fun was had by all, some of us had healing stories to share and we all learnt something new. I provided a simple handout which is intended to support what is discussed at the meetup and can be used later for ‘bedside reading’ and research. Also handed out an excellent Facebook note from Miranda Castro, a homeopath in Florida (who is also a British ‘transplant’ like myself). I happened to win her book last year on a competition 1800homeopathy.com were running and then found her page through a new colleague on Facebook (thanks, Natalia, more about the pink elephant in another post!). I really like Miranda’s style of writing and her work is framed to enable people to learn more easily about homeopathy. Here’s a link to her book.
Future subjects for meetups to whet your whistle
This blog and meetup group is not just about homeopathy, although there has been a lot going on in that realm causing more posts on the subject!
I am planning a repeat of this meeting (Homeopathy I), and then meetups to introduce people to the following subjects…I’m sure there’ll be more…
- Essential oils – simple everyday uses, applications and helps
- Reflexology – an introduction and some simple techniques for self-application
- Energy work – what is it, and what could I use it for?
- Kinesiology – learning to self-test and help with life’s choices
- Intuition – the inner voice and how to get more deeply in touch with our own inner wisdom
- NLP™ (Neuro-linguistic Programming) – what is it, and how can I use it in a family setting?
- Flower Essences – use in the home to ease every day issues
- Meditation – some simple ways to get started
- EFT/Tapping/The Emotional Freedom Technique – what is it and how can it clear emotions from the body?
How to sign up
You can join this group (based in Wichita, KS) through the meetups website at http://www.meetup.com/Moms-On-A-Spiritual-Journey/ or join the Mom On A Spiritual Journey Facebook Page at http://www.facebook.com/momonaspiritualjourney The meetups page has a link to the blog which you’ll need to click for updates, the Facebook page will automatically add blog entries to your Facebook newsfeed.
Local alternative practitioners and wellness centers in Wichita, KS – I need your help!
I would like to have a few venues where I can hold a series of small groups like this – they are short meetings from 1 hour to 1.5 hours. It would be great to hold a meeting of this nature in a wellness center or yoga center for example. If there are any local practitioners in the area who can help me with venues either in the daytime or early evening, please let me know. I’d also be happy to cover your center’s story or practitioner’s story on my blog by way of a thank you.
Raising awareness through social media
NCAM (The National Center for the Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine) released these findings in December 2008
In the United States, approximately 38 percent of adults (about 4 in 10) and approximately 12 percent of children (about 1 in 9) are using some form of CAM.
I’m sure these figures are growing, as more people are looking for ways to help themselves stay well before the need to turn to surgery or pharmaceutical drugs when illnesses become chronic.
The aim of these meetups is to honor both the scientific method and the alternative, intuitive ‘leaps of faith’ that so many have made to help us all heal. As the great Ralph Waldo Emerson put it, “Every known fact in natural science was divined by the presentiment of somebody, before it was actually verified.”
In the longer term, it would be great to have meeting models designed to help other groups in the country gather, learn, and connect with practitioners in their area to raise awareness and help us all apply healing technologies within the family setting. I know there are other groups out there doing this too…the more that we can gather together, the greater difference we can make!