Synchronicity and the New Age
What is synchronicity and why do people talk about it?
The concept of synchronicity was first described in this terminology by Carl Gustav Jung, a Swiss psychologist, in the 1920s.
Carl Jung believed in the concept of a ‘collective consciousness’.
His theory was that synchronistic events are the result of underlying patterns in a group network of consciousness which ties us all together.
Pretty revolutionary New Age thinking from a psychologist in the 1920s!
How can I become more aware of Synchronicity?
In my opinion, to get in tune with synchronicity, it’s a question of learning to notice patterns as they occur. Here’s a simple example.
Yesterday morning, as is usual, my alarm went off before my husbands did (I play Doreen Virtue’s Chakra Clearing (Book & CD) in the morning, much to my husband’s chagrin!). I switched it off and stayed abed a little longer.
My husband’s clock alarm came on and he switched it off, too. (It snoozes for 10 minutes).
When I was still half asleep, I started thinking about an episode of American Idol I had been watching with the children a few days before. One of the contestants had sung a song called ‘You’re No Good’.
Then my husband’s radio alarm clock switched on, played one chord and went silent. The DJ said, “And that was You’re No Good by Linda Ronstadt”. Up until that point, I didn’t even know that she sang that song originally!
Just a coincidence?
So…I could dismiss it as coincidence and not synchronicity, but after this many years on my spiritual journey, I know better.
Half-asleep, I was ‘tuned in’ to group consciousness and picked up on the song while it was playing on the radio. That was before the radio switched on!
The collective consciousness is making itself known in the New Age of Enlightenment. Noticing synchronicity is part of that awakening process.
Some simple ways to become more aware of Synchronicity
- Do your best to stay in the moment,
- Notice events that connect to each other – e.g. “I was just thinking of that person and then they called me” – that is a sure sign of synchronicity.
- Be open to the fact that synchronicity is the tip of the iceberg and one of the keys to connecting further to group mind or Unity Consciousness.
- Start to think about connecting to a higher consciousness or widening your perspective on any given subject when something grabs your attention.
- Notice the ‘law of three’. For example, somebody mentions a subject, book or person three times to you in fairly quick succession. Perhaps this happens a few days apart. Then it’s time to learn more about that subject, book or person. The collective consciousness is answering a vibrational question you have.
Synchronicity – some light reading
The first book in the series is called The Celestine Prophecy. Synchronicity is one of the first insights discussed in the first book. Further books in the series and a movie are also available.
The Celestine Prophecy is easy to read in a story format if you’re interested in noticing more about what you notice.
Oh – and once you’ve read something about synchronicity, you’ll start noticing it. It’s just the way it works!